Welcome to the Piano Workshop!
The Piano Workshop at Chester is one of the premier music schools in Northern New Jersey, offering private piano, guitar, and voice lessons. Our Chester studio offers a wonderful environment, optimum teaching conditions, perfect acoustics and high quality pianos. Every instructor at our studio has a degree in music education, performance or pedagogy and has an extensive resume of professional performances and experience.
The Piano Workshop at Chester offers a unique environment, unlike any other music school in the area. Each instructor has a personal, dedicated interest in your music education. We match each student with an instructor that is best suited to teach the student the necessary skills and related theory to learn to play and grow musically. This approach allows students to tap into their individual creative spirit and begin a lifelong journey of exploring and appreciating music.
So much has changed in today’s music world. Music is all around us: on the radio, in commercials, even on computers, and what we hear is a diversity that we have never had before. The musical development of children and adults includes a wide variety of styles and sounds, from Bach and blues to pop and jazz.
Learning to play the piano or any instrument plays an important role in a child’s development, not just as a means of learning performance repertoire, but also as a means of nurturing and personal growth.
Students have different strengths, interests, and learning styles. These factors are all considered when choosing appropriate curricula and lesson materials for each individual. Aspiring musicians are encourages to develop musical artistry and personal expression in addition to gaining musical skills and knowledge.
At The Piano Workshop, we take pride in helping students develop an appreciation for all styles of music, providing musical challenges, developing a music education, participating in performance opportunities, and preparing young students for continuing their music careers through college.
Too often, students are taught to simply memorize notes. The Piano Workshop takes pride in teaching students to sight-read, transpose, recognize key signatures, improvise, and compose music. This gives them an understanding and appreciation of music and how it can be applied elsewhere.
Our Fall 2018 semester will run from Tuesday September 4th, to Sunday January 27th, 2018, and our Winter/Spring semester will run from Tuesday Jan 28th, 2018 to Sunday June 23rd, 2018.
During the academic school year our rates are tuition based.
• You will be billed for just 19 of the 21 weeks for each semester which allows for vacations and/or 2 cancellations
• Payment options are located on our online registration form.
• A late fee of $25 will be charged for payments made after the 10th of the month.
• For students starting lessons mid-semester, tuition will be pro-rated and they will be invoiced monthly until the next semester.
Tuition payments: can be paid up front for the 19 week semester, or in 5 installments (monthly). Payments can be made by check. (due on or before the 10th of each month), or credit card. For credit card payments you must enter your credit card information. If you have a billing question, please contact Mark directly with any questions (teachers are not in a position to answer any billing related questions).
**First month tuition and fees must be paid prior to your first scheduled lesson date of the semester.**
There is a registration fee of $40 per student per semester. Or $60 if you enroll for the full year. Registration fees cover the following:
• Maintenance of pianos and keyboards
• Music shipping costs
• Teacher education
• Training and orientation
• Studio expenses
• Certification fees, administrative paperwork, scheduling time for each student, trips to the music store.......you get the idea.
Registration fees are non-refundable.
Please note: If you started your lessons in late fall of 2017, or late spring of 2018 the registration fee and music fees may have been waived but will apply for our 2018/2019 semesters.
There is a $50 dollar music fee billed at the beginning of each year. This applies to piano students age eight and older and is waived for our younger students, guitar students and adult students. Fee will also be waived on your invoice if you spent less than $25 of last year's fee.
The average student spends between $35 and $80 dollars on music per year. If there are siblings of the same age and level taking lessons, there will be only one music fee charged. However, if the siblings are not at the same age or level, then the music fee will be $75. Credits for unused music fees for last winter and spring will be issued on your October invoice. Music provided for adults or pre-schoolers will be added to your monthly invoice.
Attendance and Make-up lessons:
Your lesson time is reserved each week and regular weekly attendance is expected of all students.
• Notification of inability to attend a lesson does not excuse payment for the lesson. If more than 24 hour notice is provided, then a make-up lesson may be scheduled with the teacher.
• Make-ups will be scheduled based on teacher availability and are not guaranteed. Note: Only two make ups will be allowed per semester, and must be taken before the end of the semester. If less than 24 hours notice is given or if a student fails to show up for a lesson, there will be no make-up offered.
• We also offer make up classes which will be offered and scheduled by each teacher. If you need to miss a lesson and are unable to reschedule, you may attend one of your teachers make up classes which may be offered in the evening or weekend hours.
• Reminder: Tuition is based on 19 lessons and stays the same each month regardless whether there are 3, 4 or 5 lessons taken during a month. For emergencies and last minute scheduling issues please call the school number at (908) 955-3022. Your message will immediately be texted to Mark . This is the most efficient way to reach everyone, especially for last minute problems. Other scheduling issues may be discussed directly with your teacher. However, we ask that you also email the studio at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the email system on our Parent Portal.
Student Drop-off and Pick-up:
If a parent or guardian cannot wait with a student during a lesson, the student should be dropped off no earlier than five minutes before the scheduled lesson time and picked up no later than five minutes after the lesson ends. Please make sure their teacher is at the studio before you leave. If a student must be dropped off early or picked up late or if you are running late unexpectedly, please contact the teacher directly to ensure someone will be at the studio to wait with your child. The studio is only open for scheduled lessons and does not keep specific hours. For your child’s safety and your own convenience, please do not assume the doors will be open and someone will be available to wait with your child more than five minutes before and after their scheduled lesson time.
Cancellation of Enrollment:
If a student needs to discontinue enrollment in a semester due to illness or other unavoidable circumstances, the studio will retain a pro-rated portion of the tuition for two weeks following the date of discontinuance.
New Students Enrolled Mid-Semester:
If a new student enrolls after a semester has begun, they may take a partial term of lessons with a pro-rated tuition.
If lessons are missed due to snow or inclement weather, a make-up lesson or class will be scheduled with the teacher. Often schools are closed in the morning, but the roads are clear and safe by afternoon. In these cases lessons will continue as scheduled. Please call the studio or your teacher directly if there is any doubt or question about the weather.
In the event a teacher has to be absent due to a professional or personal commitment, a make-up lesson will be scheduled with the teacher. If a make-up is impossible, then we will issue a credit at the end of the semester for the missed lesson. In the event of an absence due to sudden illness or other teacher emergency, a substitute teacher may teach your lesson. You may not be notified about this in advance.
A Few Words About Practicing:
“You don’t have to practice every day, just on the days that you eat.”
This is good advice but not always the most practical. The most important time to practice is immediately following the lesson, or at least within the first 24 hours. Research indicates that retention rates go from 90% for students who practice within the first 24 hours of a lesson, to less than 60% for those who wait until the second day after a lesson.
- If a student has a 30 minute lesson, then a good daily practice session would last between 15 and 20 minutes.
- For a 45 minute lesson, practice should be between 25 and 40 minutes
- For an hour lesson, practice should be between 30 and 55 minutes.
“If there is consistency, the results will speak for themselves.”
We are 100% invested in giving you (or your child) the appropriate curriculum to help achieve a successful education in music as well as enhancing a lifelong enjoyment and appreciation of music. Students have very diverse strengths, interests and learning styles. Parents have varying expectations. All this is considered when choosing lesson materials for each student. We are constantly researching and reviewing new materials, teaching aids, methodologies and educational technology to assure that you are receiving the best music education possible.
We are currently accepting students from:
- Long Valley
- Basking Ridge
- Far Hills
- Bergen County
Our semesters run from Labor day through the 3rd week of January, and then from February through the third week of June. Summer sessions and packages are available as well.
Our Chester studio boasts 6 teaching rooms, two of which are acoustically treated and ideal for recording, rehearsals as well as lessons. Currently we have 7 high quality pianos three of which are baby grand size. Our newest addition is the state of the art Yamaha Avant Grande which is truly a world class instrument. It is considered a hybrid since it is electronic and produces the sounds digitally, but also looks like a grand piano and has actual hammers inside to duplicate the action and feel of a concert grand piano.
We offer in-home lessons as well, scheduling and teacher availability permitting.
The PETROF company is currently the biggest producer of acoustic pianos in Europe, It is a Czech family company that has been in operation since 1864. The Petrof company is considered the main innovator in this , primarily thanks to the work of experts in their technology centre and research and development department. in 2007 the company received the European Excellence Certificate which guarantees the European origin of the materials used and the premium quality of their products.
The PETROF company distributes its upright and grand pianos to 65 countries in 5 continents.
The Piano Workshop’s Ridgewood location is New Jersey’s only Dealer of these truly “World Class” instruments. We have a wide selection of PETROF pianos on display, and can order custom sizes and styles direct from the PETROF factory in Czech Republic.
Introducing the CME Xkey mobile keyboard!
The XKey25 and XKey37 is made for teachers and students of all ages and skill levels .This ultra slim keyboard is multiplatform and works right out of the box on your smartphone, tablet, laptop, Chromebook or desktop computers. Your Students will spend their time working on their material and without limitations, from the classroom to their living room and everywhere in between; this keyboard brings professional performance and outstanding applications such as:
- Composition & Arrangements
- Data Entry for music notation
- Sequencing & Accompaniment
- Low Power Consumption
- Chain up to 7 units to one iPad, Tablet, Laptop or Desk Top Product DescriptionThe keyboard features 25 or 37 full-size keys in a traditional layout within a slim molded aluminum frame. Each key is connected to a velocity sensitive pressure sensor that can transmit 128 levels of programmable MIDI data with polyphonic aftertouch control. This allows for more expressive and realistic playing techniques.
Be In Complete Control
To adjust important settings such as sensitivity, velocity, timing on the xkey, and much more you must download the XKey Plus app
Using the XKey Plus iPad application from the Apple App store, you can customize the controller by programming MIDI assignments to the keys and setting up to four userdefined velocity curves. Once configured, these settings can be saved to nonvolatile memory within the keyboard and retained for future use.
The body of the Xkey is housed into a piece of molded aluminum. The thickness is merely .62 in. Weighing at around 1.3 lbs, the Xkey is even lighter than the iPad. With the slim and light form factor of the Xkey, it can be completely put into standard size backpack. Xkey not only inherited the essence of the piano keyboard, also succeeded beyond the limits of traditional music keyboard design that with the rugged and lightweight mobile features perfectly together.
Professional Standard Keys
The key layout of Xkey follows exactly octave range of traditional piano in accordance with professional keyboard player’s finger memories and playing habits. Aluminum grille is used to clearly separate each key in order to ensure that the player can locate key positions while playing blindly on the keyboard. The structure of each individual key is designed in such a way that the entire key moves down at the same level when it is pressed at any part on the key. Such design gives unified sense of touch to the player.
Under each key and button, there is a customized pressure sensor connects to the intelligent circuit board with high processing power. The intelligent circuit board produces details of the performances at very low power consumption. Such details including the 128step full range of velocity intensity and the corresponding polyphonic aftertouch control, up to 16,000 step pitchbend control, and real time response speed manipulation.
CME Xkey Ultraslim USB Controller Keyboard Features:
- An ultra slim and full-featured MIDI controller keyboard you can take anywhere
- Precision cut aluminum frame provides natural key separation for 25 fullsized keys
- Key design depresses evenly for added playability
- Advanced sensing technology provides 128 levels of velocity sensitivity and full polyphonic aftertouch
- High resolution pitch bend modulation buttons utilize continuous MIDI control data
- Octave up and down buttons give you access to an extended note range
- Fully USB bus powered and firmware updatable via USB
- Small enough to fit in virtually any backpack, laptop case, or midsize iPad case
- Class compliant USB provides full plug-and-play compatibility with most operating systems, including iOS (via the Apple Camera Connection Kit)
CME specializes in producing the best in digital music instruments (DMI). This company’s DMI solutions have been used in over 56 countries around the world, and supported by international musicians. CME’s flagship product, the Xkey, is considered a leading standing in mobile DMI platforms. Get high quality music whenever you want, wherever you are!